Pages

▼

Pages

▼

9.27.2026

Peru 2 / Tuck's reflection

Tucker shared this Peru reflection as part of the sermon at Broad Street Presbyterian Church today:

Peru was a country of many colors; 
I remember, beneath the impressively large sky, women selling vibrant clothing and gifts made of baby alpaca wool; 
the brightness of the garden we tended and murals we painted on the church rooftop amidst the dusty, drab Lima borough; 
the vividly colored shirts of children we spoke to and played futbol with. 
I’d like to maintain the same vibrant hope for humanity I felt in Peru. 

Peru was a domain of delicious food; 
I remember the countless Chinese-Peruvian chifa dishes, each equally rich in both flavor and tradition; 
the saccharine flavor of Inca Kola soda, how it danced upon my tongue and stained my retainers bright yellow; 
the unique group experience of indulging in roast cuy (better known as guinea pig) in the van together. 
For me, Peru highlighted a sacred community built around breaking bread; I appreciate the ways Brittany makes our lunch table a primary place of fellowship for youth here. 

Peru was a land full of life; I remember the fascinating bird calls that formed a wild symphony throughout our days in the jungle of Moyobamba; 
Where we encountered geckos and humongous snails that my brother Tolliver and I were warned not to touch; 
when we were in the Sacred Valley, the alpacas and llamas, with their alluringly soft fur and gentle grins, made us smile in return. 
I am grateful for Peru’s tangible lessons in both respecting the boundaries of God’s diverse creation while still marveling at its sheer variety and splendor. 

Peru was a land of people; of music and dance; of new ways to express worship; of immeasurable joy… 
I remember this, more than vast landscapes, unforgettable food and incredible wildlife: Peru was a chance to be with people. Old friends, new friends, fully present with each other - this is where the immersion truly happened, not in the sightseeing but in the relational spaces we shared… 
May we all remember our praise, our service, our love is a part of a global, multi-voiced choir.

No comments:

Post a Comment