10.15.2009

Pointed

This time last fall, Celia started school.  It was suggested that she might benefit from more socialization with peers.  Maybe she didn't point because she didn't see other children pointing.  Maybe she would draw and stack blocks and start talking again if she saw other children do those things.  So she started going to a fabulous facility, one day a week for two hours, as part of their Parent's Day Out program. 
But she didn't point, and she didn't regain speech.  And although she tried to keep up with the other toddlers and although the teachers were good to her, her differences became more pointed.
 
Celia - first day of school - Oct. 2008

Celia only went to school five times.  She didn't get to make friends on the playground.  She'll never do a book report or trade items from her lunchbox, she'll never get to struggle with algebra or decide whether to try out for cheerleader or join the track team.  When I start to think about the things she won't get to take part in, the things we'll miss out on doing with her, I look at her and she points me back to the realization that if it weren't for her, we would have missed so much.  Not academic lessons, but there are lessons and they have meaning and we are learning.  Plucked from "normal life," on crooked paths and from different vantage points, we're looking and listening and trying to learn from what we've been given.  And we are not disappointed.

JEB

3 comments:

Poppy John said...

Jenni Baby,

I'd like to "point" out that no one is disappointed in Celia. Celia has allowed us to attend a "school" which has blessed sooo many with insight heretofore unkown...AND she is the most loved baby in the world.

L2A4

P.S. I was contemplating posting a really embarrassing story about Grandma Sandy, but then I remembered that I am in all of them.
P.P.S. Poppy John's Helpful Hint(PJHH)#81...Pre mix ketchup and mustard in one bottle to save time making hotdogs.

The Wendels said...

Celia and your family have taught me more lessons in the past year than I had learned in my entire life.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but your story has affected me deeply. Celia has taught me a lesson in being the best mommy that I can be to my own little girl. You are all in my thoughts daily, and I wish you all the love and strength in the world.