2.11.2010

Little Brother

Dear Tucker,
I'm not sure that you'll grow up thinking of yourself as a little brother.  Of course we'll remind you that you had an older sister, that she was smart and beautiful and that she'll always watch over you.
I am sure that I will never forget how much you loved her. 
You look for her from room to room, peeking under blankets you recognize as hers, climbing on chairs and into her bed in search.  You make the "s" sound when you see her, for "sister" or for "Celia."  You hold her hand and kiss her forehead, you share your blocks with her and show her books.  When we don't allow you to touch her (because she's sleeping, or because it hurts when you pull her hair) you throw big fits.  You stick out your bottom lip and you whine and throw yourself to the floor.  I wonder if you know your time with her is limited.
You love your sister more than bears love honey, and more than any other expressions I can recall.  I wanted to record your love for her here, but despite an adequate facility with language and despite several attempts to explain it, I can't find the words to describe how big your love for her is right now. When it comes down to it though, the words I don't use may be just as important as the ones I do.  Because when I see how much you love your sister, I know it's not something I'll need to explain to you.  I know it's something you'll never forget either.
Your big sister is lucky to have a little brother like you.
Love,
Mama

10 comments:

Joyce Donahue said...

Jenny,
Your such a wonderful MOM!

Adam and Vicky said...

Wordless but touched . . .

Diana said...

Somewhere I read once that a heart that truly loves never forgets. And I think it's truly true.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. No one will ever forget that he's a little brother.

Christy said...

How beautiful! Cora had just discovered Emma and like climbing in the bean bag to see her big sister. They are BIG "little" blessings.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Your post touched my heart so much, it's hard for me to express with words just how much.

You have such a blessed way with words. You may not agree but I think you captured the love little Tucker has for his big and beautiful sister.

Debi said...

Such precious moments capured in pictures.
Praying for your family and sweet Celia. Praying that Tucker would have strong memories of his beautiful big sister.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Poppy John said...

I saw it in person today Tuck...and you love HER more than you love Cheerios...and you REALLY LOVE Cheerios!!!
Poppy

Poppy John said...

By the way Tucker, I would have never thought to look under the couch for MORE Cheerios...you are one bright boy.
L2A4

Melissa said...

much love and beautiful photos