10.01.2012

Today: candy corn and clean clothes

I feel like an axis, like gravity, and if I'm any sort of force in his universe, I want it to be a good one.
When he complains -- because we can’t go to the donut store or because he has to leave Grandpa's house or because he doesn't want to wear pants -- I’ve been trying to get him to tell me two things that make him happy or grateful.  And then I try to I make myself do just the same.  I get too caught up in saving the world and scrubbing the dishes and who can even tell which is which.  Two things are usually enough to keep us both from spinning off too far in the wrong direction.
JEB

5 comments:

rameelin said...

Hi there.
I found your blog this morning after a commenter on my own blog led me this way. I am a mom to 3 young children. Our youngest daughter, Mabel, was just recently diagnosed with Batten Disease. She is 2. I see the similarities in our family and even in our writing. I hope that we can connect and chat more. I just now joined the Batten support group on facebook and it has been a huge help. Mabel's exact type is still unspecified but tests are out. She never gained any skills at all, other than sitting. Anyway, you can read more about us on our blog:
www.rameelinlarson.com
♥ So glad I found you guys!

Groves said...

Tuck, are you getting even more handsome?

Also not possible, but somehow, I think so...

The SMILE on that child - and the eyes!

Cathy in Missouri

The Wendels said...

Pants...smants. I'll make Tuck a deal - he can remain pantless at my house as long as I have to be counterless :)

Beth Ann said...

I have found Mark "necked" as he says, from the waist down every morning this week. He insists it's okay 'cause Grandpa Gary doesn't wear pants to bed. Who is Tuck using as a scapegoat to explain his pantless urges?

Tiffany said...

This is a great teaching tool...one I've been practicing with my boys too. When they say, "ugh, we such a busy day!" or "i don't wanna do homework" we talk about what is good about the day too. We all need a little more practice with this. :)