10.10.2017

on not giving up

Last week Andy took Tucker on a solo trip to the Columbus Museum of Art, Tuck's choice.
Tuck was fascinated by the portrayals of a simple, clear glass by an artist who painted that same still life more than two thousand times. Tucker came home and carefully relayed what he'd read about Peter Dreher, pointing to the value of his project, the way it can be worthwhile to look at something again and again and again.

I took the older boys to the Ohio History Center one Saturday several weeks ago, at their request.
We learned, among other things, that dinosaur remains have never been found in our state. (There probably were dinosaurs roaming in what is now Ohio, but the rocks that held their bones have long since eroded away.) Tolliver seemed slightly defeated by this piece of information, as he pretty much hunts for fossils on a daily basis. After his initial shock, he's resumed looking for triceratops skulls that might be hidden along the riverbed, just in case.

I'm afraid I spent lots of museum trips as a child (and let's be honest, as a young adult) sitting on a bench with my arms crossed, rolling my eyes like the exact opposite of a young lady who was sweetly grateful for a special day out. Sorry about that, Mom.  But thanks for never giving up.  

1 comment:

rht said...

... and yet, Rod and I have noticed that you and sister seek out all kinds of museums wherever you go! I will always remember the day you physically dragged me away from "Irises" in Chicago. ; > xoxo