9.09.2018

*all by mine own self

I remember how thrilling it felt to wander the farm alone, to steer the wave runner away from the riverbank, to stroll from mom's office to the bakery after school. I looked both ways and buckled my lifejacket, wore a watch and packed a snack. I carried with me a sense of responsibility, and gratitude for my own growing independence. Years have passed and I haven't forgotten those first feelings of freedom.
Tucker is nine and a half now, with possibly less time at home ahead than behind. It is hard for me to imagine him living anywhere but under our roof, but I understand the rules ::
It's our job to keep him as safe as possible, but also to help him become self sufficient.

Once he needed me to feed him and carry him. Then he could do everything all by mine own self. Eventually he needed me to show him how to tie his shoes and to multiply. Now he needs me to give him screen time boundaries and to remind him to brush his teeth.
Someday I will need him to smuggle me ice cream and teach me about technology.

He eats plenty of protein and wears a helmet, packs an umbrella and picks up his own library reservations. And while he is out making the world his own, I am home changing sheets and checking the clock, reminding myself of the larger task, training the people I love most in this world to leave me forever.

2 comments:

Kristy Grachek said...

Lump in my throat. Ugh. Such a rewarding and tearful job. xoxo

rht said...

It turns out -- if you're very lucky -- that your kids always need you a little bit, though admittedly far less than you need them, if you've been successful in helping them reach independence. If you're Very, Very Lucky, they even come home and stay with you for awhile. ;> Hope we have a lot more good times before you have to smuggle in ice cream!