3.21.2011

Day On

Yesterday, Tuck played outside and had lunch, and I gave him a bath.  Then he ran, naked and dripping, to his room, climbed up onto his bed. And peed.
I rinsed him in the tub again, diapered him, and stripped his sheets. While I put clean linens on his mattress, in the room across the hall he found and opened a bottle of "Mommy's toe polish" and painted some of his piggies and most of our bedding a springy shade of pink.
I scrubbed him with polish remover and bathed him again.  I started the first load of laundry.  And I made a mental note not to leave nail polish out.
Although they're not typically siphoned in such catastrophic style, the job of domestic operative leaves me without a solitary spare atom of energy.  However, aside from the sheer exhaustion of the job, of tending toddlers and handling housework, the domestic dash is always punctuated by wonder.  I am stilled by the steady thought that he is ours and he is wonderful.  He is two and he is healthy and curious and mischievous and kind.  He - and his sister - keep me from sinking into that place where I forget what really matters.  He is a heap of happy mess.
Last night, Tuck crawled into clean sheets and said "This my new bed.  Fank you, Mama."
But I'm pretty sure I should have been thanking him.
JEB

5 comments:

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

I love this post. Fank you, Jenni. :)

Adam and Vicky said...

What an adventure! Tell Tucker that Vanessa has been asking for me to paint her toes. Would he like the job? :)

Beth Ann said...

Giving fanks for the little things is what it's all about. I try to remember that, esp on days like the one you mentioned : ) Glad Tucker appreciates you for the awesome Mama you are!

Christy said...

I have to admit, my little one probably would not have gotten a second bath, and certainly not a third! ;) My batteries don't stay charged nearly as long as they used to!

Poppy John said...

Jenni Baby,
Your experiences with Tucker yesterday were similar to my adventures with Grandma Sandy. The bartender at the swim-up bar finally made her to put on a lifejacket for "safety reasons".

L2A4