4.14.2010

Day Trip

We took our first trip to the zoo as a family of four today. Personally, it was a breakthrough. Our time at the zoo embodied the type of activity I thought we would never do again after Celia's diagnosis. She used to be too uncomfortable. I used to be too sensitive to have her out with us, far from home and away from her medications.
It was safe at home, and our self-imposed solitary confinement kept us (read: me) out of the curious eyes of the public. You never know how it feels to be stared at until you experience it for yourself... and it doesn't feel good. I imagine most parents of chronically or terminally ill children would agree. And most might also agree that you eventually just get over it. You get over yourself. Celia doesn't know or care that people look at her and wonder what is wrong. And I don't care any more either. Our sanity is more important. Our need to do things as a family is more important. My ego can sit on a shelf.
"My daughter is terminally ill. Yeah, it's a terrible disease called Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis. You can learn more at www.bdsra.org. Now can you move over so we can see the bonobo throw some poop? Thanks."
This coming from a guy who doesn't like people at work asking him about what he's eating for lunch! But I'm learning to get over myself. Just another life lesson via my sweet little girl...

The real fun today was watching Tuck on his day trip. These photos document his first Hendrixian ride into the purple haze. He sampled the mushrooms in the "My House" adventure. I think that red one might have been "magic." Or maybe the camera was in the wrong setting....
Andy

6 comments:

Adam and Vicky said...

I have to tell you that at about 3:30 or 4 today Vanessa and I were looking for a Hendrix shirt for Tucker. Adam loves the one Vanessa has, and it was something I happened to walk by and notice at Target one day several months ago. Ever since, I haven't seen them. But today, I saw some vintage like shirts that I thought might have one or two classic rock shirts hidden among them . . . but no such luck . . . Either way, it's cool that Tucker had his first experience close to the 40th anniversary of Hendrix's death. So glad all of you were able to enjoy that time as a family!

Poppy John said...

Strong work and insight!
L2A4
P.S. Tucker is more like that "Allison" Wonderland girl and not Hendrix. I KNEW Jimmy Hendrix and he's no Jimmy Hendrix.
P.P.S. Vanessa, as per your request, your Poppy John's Junior Ranger (PJJR) application and secret decoder ring have been mailed. As ordered, Sargent Tucker will be providing additional insight. Remember the Poppy John's Junior Ranger Motto (PJJRM), "More ice cream, no bed time." Tell mom and dad.

Beth Ann said...

I am thrilled that you took some steps outside the box of solidarity and "safety". What a beautiful day to do so. You are right on so many levels when you said it's part of preserving your sanity. It's also part of what Jenni wrote about earlier, living life now and allowing yourselves to still find happiness in the midst of sadness. Think of these family adventures as a break from reality and a chance to make memories of what you are as a whole family.

Kate said...

Brother-in-law,
I adore you.

Christy said...

So glad you had a good time. I wish for many more for all 4 of you.
Blessings,
Christy

Debi said...

Awesome that you got to do some "normal" and fun stuff together. Praying for many opportunities to create memories.
love and hugs and prayers,
Debi