3.13.2011

Let us be glad in it

When Andy gets home from work, he asks Tucker what he did while Andy was gone.

In Tuck's words, this was the day:

I go outside.  I saw the dogs.  I saw the bird nest way up in the tree.   
I say hi to the man.  The man was sweeping the leaves.  
I saw the kitty cat.  I share my giraffe with the kitty cat!  I go night-night with the kitty cat. 
 I say bye to the man.  I count the acorns.  I kick the acorns!  
 I saw the airplanes in the sky.  I drink juice.  I sit at the biiig table.  

It's interesting how he throws in other things he's been thinking about during the day too:  

Aunt Sally's in the elevator.  Where is it my birthday balloons?  RoRo is on the airplane with Pa Rod.  My sing it the Superboy song.  Where is it Colby's ball?  Little bit milk in the frog cup, please?
I love the way he remembers details, describing his own happy reality.  I love that in the recall every small thing becomes big - the rare treat of a juice box, the reunion with a forgotten infant toy, the collection of letters stamped on the concrete.  I love that nearly every sentence he speaks begins with "I", a sign of age appropriate egocentrism.  I love the way he makes rejoice a daily prayer.

I love the way he wants to wear a hat now that hats aren't so much necessary.

I felt warm while we adventured, and again while I listened to him recount the day.  And I think it had less to do with the sunshine and more to do with his outlook.

JEB

5 comments:

rht said...

In March, in Ohio, Tucker's outlook is often brighter than the sunshine! And, among many other things, I love the way Tuck rapidly turns whereisit into one word.

Unknown said...

Gracie loves Tucker.
Gracie loves Nickel.

Poppy John said...

I go golf trip.
I beat other man.
I have more money today.
I home now.
Grandma Sandy smile, too.

L2A4

Anonymous said...

I need to borrow his outlook these days. :)

Debi said...

I love his pure enjoyment of the simple things!