4.03.2011

Pitched

Tucker and I regularly spend three days together, every weekend, alone.  I wouldn't trade my time with him for the world.  But sometimes that time stretches and it feels as though I could hold each second in my palm, palpate it before it's on its way.  My tired state conjures infinity while his self-discovery gets too close to self-destruction.  Sinkholes suddenly open up between dawn and lunch time.  My repertoire of entertaining activities vaporizes while he and Colby rumble underfoot like boiling water.

Sometimes though, a long, empty day can be salvaged.
JEB

3 comments:

Poppy John said...

Jenni Baby,
Tucker's pictures remind me of the week I turned 3. Grandma Wetherholt was watching me while my baby sister Jo was being born. For several days, I was allowed to have a tent, and under the tent was a large tub filled with water and plastic boats. The tent was in the middle of the living room and I couldn't wait to get out of bed in the morning and go sailing. Great memories...but I'm jealous 'cuz Tuck has a DOG!

L2A4

Beth Ann said...

One of the best pieces of advice I've been given as a parent is that it's okay to let your kids get bored. It forces them to dig deep and find their own (hopefully safe) entertainment. I know T is still small but don't ever feel like you have to "fill" every moment. Get him going and see what he comes up with. That's one of my favorite things to do with my boys.

zarniegall said...

I actually know exactly what you mean...that moment when you have so much alone time that a "tent" saves the day...it only works every so often these days...leaving the house is the new save : ) Seriously need to get the boys together at the zoo!!