8.29.2012

Nine months in, nine months out

Dear Tolliver,
There are so many wonderfully magnificent things that make you perfect right now.  At nine months you're still new enough to know heaven, and you've brought it right into our house.
Tollie, you ball my shirt, your diaper cloth or the corner of a beach towel, whatever blanket-like material you can reach, into a tight fist against your chest, up to your cheek, into your mouth and, like magic, your eyes close.  I love that you've worked out this sleepytime routine for yourself.

You are mobile and vocal and generally very happy.

One of your father's favorite things about you is the way you move with reckless urgency.  You travel at lightning speed, plowing through barricades and climbing over obstacles.

You are an enterprising adventurer, an observant little sleuth, so focused on learning that I sometimes feel like I must be quiet in your presence lest I ruin your concentration.

There are little things you do - shake your head left to right, sniff your nose repeatedly - that make you laugh at yourself, which makes us laugh too.

Your favorite toy is a shoe.  Always, always, you go for the shoe.

You play games and have tricks: How Big and I Take My Little Hands and Where's Tollie, waving and standing and stepping and clapping. 

You sleep through the night.  This is huge, buddy.  This.is.huge.

Anxiety is becoming an issue, separation and stranger.  This isn't really wonderful or magnificent, but it helps me know you're right on track.
You’re like a vine, baby boy, growing exponentially overnight and commandeering every opportunity to cling. 
Keep it up.

All my love,
Mama

3 comments:

rht said...

Dear Tollie,

One of my favorite things about you is your smile. You are always happy to see us, but wary now that our presence might herald the temporary disappearance of your mom and dad.
You have discovered that you can shake the table lamp and look at our stairs with too much interest. You have definite preferences about food and activities, and you are making them known -- good for you. Thanks for brightening our days, Tolliver!

Tiffany said...

I love this little guy. He just brightens my day.

And I'm trying rainbow bubbles with Liv tomorrow!!! She will love it.

Aunt Linda said...

And I like that YOU like my painted toenails! :o)