6.13.2019

still reading

Sometimes the boys do things that make me urgently want to deserve my life.
Like reading books together.

Tucker's in a summer bookclub with rising fifth grade classmates, meeting via video conference online and in real life at coffee shops. He's also devouring wilderness survival handbooks, preparing for sleep away camp.

I remember when reading 20 books to earn a personal pan pizza was the best thing ever.
With no public library nearby, my mother used to drive up river and across the bridge just to let us borrow books - it was a half day adventure, we needed time and gas in the tank. She was deliberate though, and we rarely missed a week.

Hank registered for the local summer reading program, and Tols is helping him reach his goals. They've already collected coupons for free donuts.

We currently have 78 books checked out from the Grandview library. We walk by it several times a week, and rarely resist the pull.

Sometimes I send the boys outside to play, to exert some of the indoor wrestling energy that tends to drive me crazy. I imagine them throwing balls and riding bikes and instead I find them curled up in the hammock, lounging in the back of the truck, seated at the patio table, somewhere still and reading.

But I'm not complaining.

1 comment:

rht said...

I remember the first time I asked Mr. Louden how many books you would be allowed to check out... and he replied, "How many books will fit in the trunk of your car?" He made the public library in Gallipolis into a real community treasure!