9.01.2020

SOS

Do you have time? Before the children wake, but after coffee, can you take a walk? I'll meet you at the corner. I need you to help me sort through all the noise. Are you holding up okay? Tell me what the hard part is. Tell me something that might delight you today, is there anything you're looking forward to? Do you even have a dinner plan? Our dining table is littered with books and markers and it feels like I can only highlight the monotony.

Do you have time? After the bedtime routine, is it even a routine any more, can we meet on the back patio? Here’s a grapefruit cocktail and a leftover slice of pie. Look at these new elastic waist shorts, plus they have pockets. How did homeschool go today? Did you hear about the plan to pivot? Did you see the sun? Did you catch three deep breaths because living in this ellipsis feels hard. We should probably go to bed before we have to do this again tomorrow. I wonder what we are becoming other than undone?

2 comments:

rht said...

If I were a young mother, I would love to meet up and walk with you. It would be so nice to have a friend who also didn't have a plan for dinner, but who cared enough to ask what might delight me! It is difficult for me to imagine monotony in your household, but I can imagine how your days blur into each other. I love Hank's bright offering of flowers... please, be kind to yourself!

Unknown said...

I really loved this. It hit me right in all the places in my soul all muffled up with pandemic noise.