2.26.2013

Watch Out

Driving to preschool this morning, Tucker exclaimed Know what fore means, Mama? In golf, fore means watch out!  I acknowledged his newsflash and then told Tuck that while he built cardboard castles with his buddies Augie and Conrad, I planned to take Tollie to story time at the library.  Will you do me a favor, Mama? Will you get me a book about blimps and another book about knock-knock jokes?

Tucker’s mid-afternoon individual attention has been affected recently as we’ve tried to encourage Tolliver to adjust his nap routine.  It’s not been awesome, but it's part of what we signed up for when we decided to procreate.  This afternoon Tucker and I did get to spend some quiet time learning a few jokes and reading about floating airships.  I left Tuck to finish watching the footage of a blimp we'd found online and ran to refresh my coffee.  Minutes later I heard him laughing and realized he'd clicked through to something else on You-Tube, something not particularly appropriate.  I heard the word bastard.  I'm not sure what he heard.
It’s happened before, he's clicked on something he shouldn't have.  We’re certainly not winning any media supervision awards.  It’s a high charge and an awesome privilege to hang with these boys every day, and we're doing the best we can.

At some point in the Betz family’s evolution, maybe when Andy was little, Ciao was interpreted as watchout, and occasionally the Betzes still say that to one another as they part ways.  Watch out.  It serves a fine goodbye. 
And as we prepare to leave three behind, I feel like four is already warning us to watch out. 
JEB

1 comment:

Poppy John said...

Jenni Baby,

Ciao bella..."hello beautiful".

I think "ciao" (from the Latin, Italian and Venetian roots) translates to mean, "I am your slave".

However, you should teach Tucker to say, "Si, ciao"...which translates to mean, "That's totally weird".

Do the Betz's know Grandma Sandy grew up in Italy? Hence, her accent.

L2A