6.19.2011

All Love

Our society esteems men who draw large pay checks and hold positions of power, men who earn advanced degrees and who drive fancy cars, but perhaps the true measure of a man is how many board books he can retell by heart, the level of patience he shares with a two-year old boy, his ability to deal with the impending death of his daughter.
I watch him transition from trying to be her father, to needing to be her nurse.  The role is not easy, and it may get harder.  I can't imagine anyone else loving her so well.
I watch him create a relationship with his son, built on bedtime routines, shoulder rides and cartoon characters, full of songs and tickles, dirt and trains.  I can't imagine anyone being a better dad.
I watch him, a sideways glance turns into a rapt stare, and I feel part school-girl smitten, part proud adult admiration, all love.
JEB

3 comments:

Poppy John said...

Jenni Baby,
Remember when you two were dating and I told you that "you couldn't do any better than Andy"...or... did I tell Andy that about you???

L2A5

Poppy John's Father's Day Insight(PJFDI)..."Beer Popsicles" are better in theory.

Christy said...

It's wonderful to see men who are such great dads. I'm glad you have one of them for your children. :)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. I'm so glad I have my Matt and I'm so glad you have your Andy.